Periodontal disease is a prevalent oral health problem affecting millions of people worldwide. Traditional treatment options for gum disease usually involve invasive surgical procedures, which can cause discomfort, prolonged recovery, and hinder some patients from seeking treatment. At Boulder Periodontics, we are dedicated to providing a premier patient experience through specialized dentistry and highly personalized care. Our commitment to embracing the latest advancements in dental technology enables us to offer the Laser-Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) as a minimally invasive, innovative treatment option for periodontal disease.
LANAP is a revolutionary, FDA-approved treatment protocol that involves using laser technology to treat moderate to severe periodontal disease without the need for incisions, sutures, or removing healthy gum tissue. It targets the inflamed or infected gum tissue and removes it while preserving healthy tissues and promoting faster healing. The procedure offers a range of benefits, including reduced patient discomfort, less downtime, and higher treatment success rates compared to traditional surgical methods.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the LANAP procedure to help you better understand its advantages and how it can effectively treat periodontal disease. We will cover the basics of the procedure, discuss its benefits in comparison to traditional treatments, and outline what you can expect during and after your LANAP treatment at Boulder Periodontics.
As a leading periodontal practice, our team is dedicated to providing patient-focused care that is tailored to your individual needs. By offering cutting-edge treatments like LANAP, we aim to improve the overall health and well-being of our patients while enhancing their dental experience.
The LANAP Procedure: A Step-by-Step Guide
The Laser-Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) is a cutting-edge treatment that effectively addresses periodontal disease using advanced laser technology. The following steps outline the LANAP process:
- Assessment and Preparation: Your periodontist will conduct a thorough examination of your oral health, taking radiographs to evaluate the extent of your periodontal disease. To ensure your comfort during the procedure, you will receive local anesthesia.
- Laser Treatment: The LANAP protocol utilizes the PerioLase MVP-7 laser, specifically designed for periodontal therapies. Your periodontist will insert a specialized laser fiber between your tooth and gum, gently removing the diseased tissue while leaving healthy tissue intact.
- Calculus Removal: The periodontist will employ ultrasonic instruments to remove the calculus (tartar) deposits on your tooth's root surfaces.
- Clot Formation: The laser is used again at a lower power setting to create a stable fibrin clot, promoting the regeneration of the periodontal ligament and preventing bacteria from re-entering the area.
- Tissue Compression: The gum tissue is gently compressed against the tooth to achieve a secure seal without the need for sutures.
- Post-Operative Care: Your periodontist will provide you with comprehensive post-operative care instructions to ensure a smooth recovery and healing process.
Comparing LANAP to Traditional Treatments
The advantages of LANAP become even more apparent when contrasted with traditional periodontal treatments. Some key differences include:
- Minimally Invasive: Unlike traditional surgery, LANAP does not require incisions or sutures, which significantly reduces patient discomfort and recovery time.
- Preservation of Healthy Tissue: The laser technology used in LANAP selectively removes only diseased tissue, preserving more of your healthy gum tissue.
- Faster Healing: Due to the minimally invasive nature of the procedure, patients generally experience faster healing times and can return to their routine activities sooner than with traditional surgery.
- Reduced Risk of Infection: The laser effectively sterilizes the treated areas, reducing the risk of post-operative infections.
- Increased Treatment Success: LANAP promotes the regeneration of periodontal ligament and bone, leading to long-lasting results and improved oral health.
What to Expect During and After the LANAP Procedure
Your comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost importance throughout the LANAP process. Here's what you can expect during and after your treatment:
- Pre-Procedure Consultation: During your initial appointment, your periodontist will assess your periodontal health, discuss your treatment options, and answer any questions you may have.
- Anesthesia: To ensure your comfort during the LANAP procedure, your periodontist will administer local anesthesia. Some patients may also opt for sedation for added relaxation.
- Treatment Duration: The length of the LANAP treatment depends on the severity of your periodontal disease and the number of teeth involved. Patients may undergo the procedure in one or multiple visits.
- Post-Operative Discomfort: Following the LANAP procedure, patients generally experience minimal discomfort and manageable swelling. Over-the-counter pain medications like ibuprofen are usually sufficient to alleviate any pain.
- Recovery Time: Most patients can return to work and normal activities within a day or two. Your periodontist will provide specific post-operative care instructions to maximize your comfort and ensure a successful healing process.
- Follow-Up Appointments: Regular follow-up appointments are essential to monitor your healing progress and maintain your oral health. Your periodontist will schedule these appointments accordingly.
At Boulder Periodontics, we are dedicated to providing a premier patient experience through cutting-edge dental treatments like LANAP. By opting for this minimally invasive treatment for periodontal disease, you can benefit from shorter recovery times, reduced discomfort, and increased treatment success rates compared to traditional surgical methods.
Our team of experienced professionals understands the significant impact proper periodontal care can have on your overall health and well-being. If you are suffering from periodontal disease and wish to explore your treatment options, schedule a consultation with us, your top periodontist in Colorado. Through specialized dentistry and personalized care, we strive to help you achieve optimal oral health and a confident smile.